So, you’ve decided on laser hair removal – now you just need to get prepared. A lot of people are under the illusion that you don’t need to shave before coming in for laser hair removal, this is not the case. Below are a list of tips you need to remember when embarking on your laser hair removal journey. All of these tips will help you prepare yourself pre-treatment and make your experience run smoothly (pun intended).
Keep It Fresh
Make sure to take a shower or bath pre-treatment, this will ensure that the skin is clean and ready for laser hair removal.
Remember to clean shave ALL areas that are getting laser hair removal. It is important to do this at least 12 hours before treatment so the skin does not get irritated. All areas missed out will not be treated.
What To Avoid?
- Wearing makeup or wearing any moisturisers (lotions) or aerosols on the skin pre-treatment
- Using any sunbeds or fake tans
- Any waxing, epilating, threading hair removal creams plucking or hair bleaching
- Avoid extended UV exposure for 7 days post-treatment.
- If blisters occur, do not puncture. If skin is broken, apply an antibiotic ointment until healed.
- Ibuprofen is recommended for post-treatment discomfort.
- Over the counter medication is recommended for post treatment discomfort. You may also apply Restorative Gel (highest recommended), cool towels, ice packs or aloe vera to alleviate discomfort due to heat.
- Avoid using seat warmers immediately after treatment.
- Avoid any additional laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least 2 weeks post-treatment or until healing has occurred.
- Using a broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 or higher is critical when receiving laser treatments and is recommended ongoing for maintenance.
- If you experience any side effects, such as hypo- or hyper-pigmentation, prolonged redness or swelling, a histamine reaction, or blistering, call or come in for instructions on treatment.
- To achieve the best results, complete the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended by your technician.
- Exfoliate treated areas to minimize risk of ingrown hairs.
If you follow these simple rules we ensure your laser hair removal will be an amazing experience! Click here to book your laser hair removal sessions. We look forward to welcoming you to SkinHQ.